Mini Eggplant Pizzas with Homemade Tomato Sauce
So I was at the market buying my weekly veggies and I came across eggplants. I never buy eggplants. In fact, I think this was the first time. But they looked so pretty I thought what the heck I'll buy it and figure out what to use it for later. On the drive home it dawned on me, eggplant pizza… Brilliant!
I had no idea eggplant pizza was a "thing". I swear to you I thought that I was a genius and would be responsible for some sort of veggie pizza revolution. Well, as it turns out, I was wrong. It's actually a quite popular dish and I totally understand why. It's delicious, requires minimal effort, AND is entirely made up of veggies. Score.
I eat this dish as an entree but it would make a great appetizer too!
Serving Size: 3-4
What You'll Need:
- 1 large eggplant, cut into half-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped if desired
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, tomatoes, garlic, onion powder, and water
- Cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until desired consistency
- Cover and set aside
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and brush both sides of eggplant slices with the oil
- Arrange eggplant slices flat on a large non stick baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, flipping them once at 4 minutes
- Top slices with tomato sauce, spinach, and mushroom
- Bake for another 4 minutes. Serve immediately