I've been craving lasagna for a few weeks now. It was my favorite meal growing up as a kid and it is a recipe that I've always associated with Christmas. Lasagna makes for a great family dinner, perfect for a night when the whole gang is home and together. I always enjoy cooking, but this recipe was definitely a fun one to make. You can really play around with the ingredients, loose some here, add some there… it will still be delicious.
If you're looking for some last minute ideas for your Christmas day menu, seriously consider this recipe.
Serving Size: 8
What You'll Need:
14 lasagna noodles (2 are extras for filling holes)
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup purple onion, diced
2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1, 12oz. jar roasted red pepper, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
1, 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 chia seed "eggs" (directions for these below)
8oz. dairy-free mozzarella.
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13in. baking dish and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook according to directions. Once cooked, lay the pasta flat on aluminum foil to keep them from sticking to each other.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add garlic and onions. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in zucchinis, squash, and red peppers. Continue to sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and simmer until thick, approximately 7-9 minutes.
- Add chia seed "eggs" and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a small amount of sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish, just enough to cover it. Layer 4 noodles on top of the sauce. Sprinkle on about 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and then spoon 1/3 of the sauce on top. Repeat with remaining noodles, sauce, and cheese. Save about 2 cups of the sauce and 1 cup of cheese for the top layer.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
How to Make a Chia Seed Egg:
- Mix 1 tablespoon chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water.
- Let sit for 15 minutes until the mixture turns into a gel.
*This recipe requires 2 eggs, so you would mix 2 tablespoons chia seeds with 6 tablespoons of water.