Whether it's a rainy day, a snowy day, or the day House of Cards Season 3 was released on Netflix (today, duh), you're going to need this comforting and easy roasted tomato basil soup recipe on hand.
There is something to be said for curling up on the couch with a big bowl of homemade tomato soup and a cozy blanket. There just isn't much better than that! If you looked up "comfy" in the urban dictionary, I bet that's what would come up...
Comfy; [kuhm-fee] adj. - the combination of roasted tomato basil soup, couch, & cozy blanket.
Homemade soup can sound intimidating. I know that it use to intimidate me! It seemed complicated and tedious and I'm not a fan of either of those things. For reals. So please believe me when I say that this roasted tomato basil soup recipe is so easy-to-follow and will only take about 35 minutes of your time.
This blend is earthy, hearty, and so warming. Roasting the tomatoes really makes all of the difference. Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out!
Have a fabulous weekend and enjoy!
Serving Size: 2 Bowls
What You'll Need:
- 10-11 medium sized tomatoes, rinsed (I used tomatoes on the vine)
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (omit or reduce if you do not want it spicy)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (more if you want it thin)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degreesF. Slice tomatoes and place them on a large baking sheet. (I dabbed some oil on a napkin and rubbed it over the baking sheet to lightly grease it). Add sliced garlic. Drizzle the tomatoes and garlic with the olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes. They should be shrunken and slightly golden/browned. Let tomatoes cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatoes, garlic, and tomato juices from the tray into your blender. Add basil, vegetable broth, crushed pepper, and salt & pepper. Puree until smooth. Split between two bowls and enjoy!
My favorite garnishments for roasted tomato basil soup are cilantro, avocado, roasted corn, or hearty toast!
Shop my blender here!
- If you aren't super into basil maybe start with less and taste test the soup before adding more.
- This soup can be served cool, warm, or hot. If you want it hot transfer it from the blender to a saucepan and cook over medium for a few minutes until it reaches your desired temperature.
- This is a freezer friendly meal. Store in a tightly sealed, freezer safe container. Thaw and reheat over medium heat.