Green Goddess Veggie Sandwich with Lemon-Basil Pesto Sauce - Because finding a yummy sandwich that is also good for you is a gift from heaven.
I think it's safe to say we are all welcoming spring with arms wide open. Which means a whole lot of outdoor events are about to start being planned. Picnics, beach days, barbecues… We should basically dub springtime "Sandwich Season." (Clever, I know). Because on days like those, a sandwich is the greatest thing ever.
So with that being said, I'm coming at you just in time with this bomb-dot-com, delicious sandwich. Filling, scrumptious, healthy, and you probably already have most of the ingredients in your fridge.
By the way, how great of a feeling is it when you already have everything you need for that pinterest recipe you just stumbled upon? I love when that happens! It's such an "I'm-a-grown-up-and-really-put-together" moment.
Anyway... This spring, be that girl (or guy) with the stacked gourmet sandwich that everyone really, really wants a bite of. And when they ask where you learned the recipe, send em' my way. (Love ya, mean it). Enjoy!
What You'll Need:
For the Green Goddess Sandwiches:
- sliced bread (I used a thick sourdough bread)
- cucumbers, sliced
- green bell pepper, sliced
- yellow or green tomatoes, sliced
- avocado, sliced or diced
- alfalfa sprouts
- vegan mayo (I use "Just Mayo"), optional
For the Lemon-Basil Pesto Sauce: (makes enough for 4-5 sandwiches, the recipe can be halved)
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
Directions for Lemon-Basil Pesto Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients into a food process and blend until smooth.
Directions for the Green Goddess Veggie Sandwich:
- Toast the bread if you would like. Spread one slice of bread with lemon-basil pesto. Spread the other with mayo. Layer the veggies as desired. Cut in half and serve immediately.
*Notes: the lemon-basil pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.
Shop my food processor here.