Please don't hate me for saying what I am about to say…
Here it is - I'm a pasta sauce snob. Meaning I need it tasty but most importantly, I need it oober fresh. Store bought pasta sauces are below me. Yeah, I said it! (Stop judging me).
I've broken up with canned sauce for a few reasons. For one, I feel like I never know the whole truth of whats in that little ol' jar. But also because it doesn't taste nearly as good as a fresh homemade sauce!
The avocado basil sauce in this recipe, for example, is out of this world! But what makes eating it even more satisfying is knowing exactly what is in it. Which by the way, is just a bunch of garden goods and a bit of olive oil. I can feel my body detoxing just talking about it.
Enough about sauces, let's talk about the true hero in this recipe - roasted tomatoes.
The way they caramelize and develop this sweet-tangy flavor after cooking in the oven is just magical. Roasted tomatoes will always win in the game of "Who is the Best Ingredient in this Recipe?"
This pasta is creamy, pesto-y, hearty, and definitely addicting. Enjoy!
If you like this pasta, you should try the raw version. It's perfect for lunchtime and hot summer days!
Serving Size: 4
- 8 ounces spaghetti pasta
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
AVOCADO BASIL SAUCE:
- 1 medium avocado, pitted
- 1 cup basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large baking tray, arrange tomatoes in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, toss to coat evenly. Roast tomatoes for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to direction. Once cooked, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- To make Avocado Basil Sauce, add all sauce ingredients to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Toss the drained noodles with the avocado basil sauce. Stir it in slowly as you will most likely have extra sauce. Gently mix in roasted tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- I used organic rice pasta from Trader Joe's to keep this meal extra healthy and light.
Shop my food processor.