Easy Vegan Vanilla French Toast
Easy Vegan Vanilla French Toast - Loaded with fresh strawberries, bananas, and agave nectar.
Is your mouth watering yet? Okay, great. We're on the same page.
So here's the thing with french toast (and pancakes), I don't always crave them. In fact, I'm more of a breakfast burrito type of gal. Don't judge me. A girl wants what she wants! But when I do crave french toast - I GOTTA HAVE IT. Like, right now.
After going vegan, I thought that vanilla french toast would be a thing of my past. Ya know, with the eggs, milk, and all that dairy business. And on those breakfast burrito mornings, I wasn't too concerned about that. That is until the morning I woke up in a french toast mood. Desperation set in and I was bound to find/create a dairy-free french toast recipe. Am I being dramatic here? Yes, I am. Because as it turns out it's really, really easy to make delicious, simple vegan french toast.
This recipe is light, filling, slightly sweet, and leaves you feeling all warm inside. The toppings can really make this dish. I went with my favorite combo, strawberries and bananas. But this would be yummy with almost anything! Blueberries, dark chocolate chips, peaches...
The best part? This easy french toast will only take about 30 minutes of your time and only dirty like, 4 dishes. And of course, it's da bomb. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 3-4
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, whole (ground to make invisible)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar (plus more for syrup)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 slices wheat bread (I used a thick wheat sandwich bread)
- strawberries, sliced - for topping
- bananas, sliced - for topping
- Combine the chia seeds, vanillas extract, cinnamon, agave, and almond milk into a shallow bowl. I used a medium sized rectangular baking dish. Place in the fridge for approximately 15 minutes. Do not let it sit more than 20 minutes, as it will begin to turn into a gel-like texture.
- Bring a grill pan or skillet to medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Soak the bread slices one at a time in the batter. About 10-15 seconds on each side.
- Place the slice into the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes, flipping, until each side is golden. Repeat until all slices have been cooked.
- Add desired toppings. I used strawberries, bananas, and agave. Serve immediately.
- For the most part, any bread can be used for this recipe. However, day old bread is ideal. So is a thicker bread.
- If you find your bread is starting to stick to the pan towards the end, add more coconut oil to the pan.