Homemade Veggie Meatballs (Vegan)
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce to you my new spaghetti night BFF…
Homemade Veggie Meatballs!
6 main ingredients. 5 steps. 4 servings.
It's not easy to come across a good veggie meatball. Especially one that isn't loaded with all kinds of processed non-sense. That's what is so fab about these babies, they are ALL NATURAL.
In the early steps of making this recipe, I was a little scared. The blend of ingredients in the food processor smells delish, but it looks a little… eh, alarming. Don't let it intimidate you! It all comes together and turns out looking perfect!
I am a bona fide pasta lover, so naturally I use these veggie meatballs in my pasta. They would also be great added to a soup or used to make a meatball sub sandwich!
These homemade veggie meatballs are great leftovers. So don't be afraid to make too many. Also, this entire recipe will probably cost you less than $5 bucks… SCORE!
Serving Size: 4-5 (Approximately 12-15 meatballs)
- 1 medium-large eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (I used kidney beans)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs, (I suggest Trader Joe's brand, organic & vegan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- tomato sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a large baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to food processor.
- In the same skillet add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent. Add to food processor.
- Add beans and parsley to the processor. Chop until the veggies are mixed well but DO NOT puree the mixture. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in bread crumbs and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll the mixture into little balls (about 2-3 inches in diameter) and place them evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, until firm and slightly browned. Serve immediately.
Shop my food processor.