Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Homemade Pesto
This is probably going to sound counter-intuitive, but does anyone else feel like they lose workout motivation during the summer? During the fall/winter, I am like super on it with my workouts. Then by the time summer rolls around, I can barely get myself to the gym! It seems a little backwards to me haha.
Maybe because in the summer it's all about fun? There's a lot more traveling, daytime hangs, and people around. Idk. But I do know I need to step it up! Workouts for me aren't just about physical fitness! If I don't exercise 3-4 times a week my sleep quality goes down, I start getting anxiety, and I also start getting road rage on the 405 LOLOLOL.
What do you do to get yourself back into the workout groove?! Please, please do tell!
It is Monday so I'm going to take this as an opportunity to jump back into it today. If you've been feeling the same lately, maybe you can start with me today :)
... What's that? Oh right, this is a food blog. You probably want to hear about the brussels sprouts not my workout blues ;)
You can find the recipe card below! The homemade pesto recipe will make you extra pesto sauce than you will need for this recipe. You can use the leftovers throughout the week on literally anything and everything.
This recipe will only take you about 15 minutes all in, score. And it's as healthy (and delicious) as can be!
Welp, the coffee has been drank so I'm off to the gym to get that workout in! Wish me luck.
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
*This will make a small jar of pesto. Store leftovers in a sealed jar in your fridge for up to a week.
- 1 pound raw brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon juice, small squeeze
- 2-3 tablespoons homemade pesto sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and let it heat.
- Add garlic and brussels sprouts to the skillet. Sauté, stirring often, for 10-12 minutes. Add salt and pepper as desired. While still cooking, squeeze in a small amount of fresh lemon juice.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss sprouts with homemade pesto. I used about 3 tablespoons, you may want more or less. Start with less and add more as you wish.
- Well served warm or chilled.