Sautéed Shiitake Mushroom Sandwich with Sriracha Mayo
I came very close to not posting this sandwich recipe.
Not because it isn't fabulous, it totally is. But it is not the most photogenic meal in the world. And we all know how the internet works now-a-days. Pretty pictures or bust! But like, I tried to make this guy look pretty and he was all "nope, not happening". So I battled with myself and finally decided to post it, because it's delicious and hopefully you will see the beauty in the madness. (Thanks in advance).
I am crushing hard on mushrooms lately. I've also been craving brunch foods for every meal. So when I combined the two "needs", I came up with this Sautéed Shiitake Mushroom Sandwich. And I have to admit, its pretty darn delicious.
This sandwich consists of thick rustic bread, arugula, creamy avocado, and sautéed mushrooms topped with a spicy sriracha mayo.
Ingredient wise, it's a simple sandwich. But the flavor combination is DA BOMB. It's hearty, savory, spicy, creamy, and, and… okay, just go try it.
P.S - the messier it is, the more delicious it is. Just sayin'…
Serving Size: 1
- 2 slices thick bread (I'm using Trader Joe's vegan Tuscan Pane Bread )
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3.5-4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced or mashed
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon vegan mayo (I'm using Just Mayo)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and water. Sauté for approximately 3-5 minutes, until brown and tender. Remove from hear and season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, toast bread to your desired crispiness. Once toasted, spread all sides with coconut oil. In a small dish, combine Sriracha and mayo. Mix well.
- Layer the sandwich from bottom to top in the following order: arugula, avocado, mushrooms, Sriracha mayo. Done!