Spicy Creamy Pasta with Spinach, Peas, and Mushrooms
Here's a fun fact: growing up I did not like pasta.
Spaghetti night was torture for me. Can you believe that? What was wrong with me!? Don't worry, I've since grown out of that. In fact, adult Cortney can't get enough pasta. (It's a problem).
Pasta dishes are one of my favorite foods to experiment with. It's pretty hard to mess up and there are so many delightful combinations!
I have always liked peas and mushrooms in my pasta. If I'm ever at a restaurant that serves any sort of this variation, I'm definitely going to order it. Clearly it was long overdue for me to create my own peas-and-mushroom pasta dish. So I did. And I figured it couldn't hurt to toss in some spinach (another ingredient I love in pasta) to add additional flavor. But here's the thing, the veggies aren't what make this pasta… It's the sauce!
This spicy creamy sauce is so savory and unbelievably cheesy tasting, which is pretty impressive given theres not actually any cheese in it at all. Cashews, pepper flakes, chili powder, paprika, garlic… *drool*
Just look at that beautiful, decadent, fiery goodness. This Spicy Creamy Pasta is a must try!
If you're into creamy pastas, check out this Creamy Tomato Basil Bow Tie Pasta.
Serving Size: 4
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups peas, frozen
- 2 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked for at least one hour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt if desired. Add pasta and peas. Cook until pasta is al dente and peas are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant. About 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring until they are browned and soft. About 3-4 minutes. Add spinach and cook until it has wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add cashews, water, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Puree until smooth. Add more milk/water if it is too thick. Set aside.
- Drain the peas and pasta and return them to the pot. Stir in the veggies and cream sauce. Toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately.
Shop my food processor.