Tofu Egg Salad - Low in calories, high in protein, and an absolute staple for the spring season.
This tofu "egg" salad sure does taste a lot like the real thing. Like, I'd bet a million dollars you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and real egg salad. I'm kidding, I don't have that kind of money. But it proves my confidence.
Use it on sandwiches, spread it on crackers, or eat it by itself. It's a versatile dish and a piece of cake to throw together. Try it out this season and let me know how it goes!
By the way, I uploaded this next picture purely for the sake of humor. Please notice the half eaten pickle in the bowl of egg salad… This is the direct result of snacking while food styling. Haha! Hungry happens, people.
If you try out the recipe, post it on social media with the hashtag #projectsunny so I can see your fab creations!
Serving Size: 4-6
What You'll Need:
- One 14 ounce block organic firm tofu
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery stalks (6 inches long), minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 medium dill pickles, minced
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice from the jar
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I used regular mustard, dijon works as well)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and press the the tofu. This can be done using paper towels by wrapping the tofu in the towels and pressing down to extract water. Repeat as many times as necessary. It is important that the tofu is dry before making the salad with it.
- Add tofu to a medium-large bowl. Break it apart using a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. And salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately by itself, with crackers, or on a sandwich with veggies. Enjoy!
- To store, transfer the egg salad to an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to five days.