Vegan Stuffed Peppers with Tofu Taco Meat
Vegan Stuffed Peppers are the perfect weeknight dinner! Bell peppers stuffed with delicious tofu taco meat and topped with fresh tomatoes, herbs, cheese, sour cream, and any other toppings you love!
Tofu taco "meat" is so genius.
A few months ago, I was back home in Florida visiting my family. One night, everyone had decided on homemade tacos for dinner (I always vote taco night when I'm at home ;) My dad and sisters aren't exactly vegan, but my mom is. And I wanted to make her and I something fun instead of the same old rice-lettuce-tomato scheme we usually go with.
I knew we had tofu and my first instinct was to slice it up and grill it with some buffalo sauce or something... but then I was all OMG WHAT IF... WHAT IF I SCRAMBLE IT & IT'S LIKE TACO MEAT!?
Well I am rather pleased to say that it turned out so freaking good. Even my sisters had some. And maybe my dad even gave it a whirl, too.
The tofu taco meat has a similar consistency, and look, to ground turkey. But it's lighter, equally filling, and obviously no birdies were harmed in the making.
This is a great recipe for anyone looking for new plant-based recipes. I made this for lunch and had the leftovers for lunch again the next day. It was still good, and maybe even better.
This is one of those "you won't miss the meat" recipes. So this could be a fun one for those looking to go vegan and looking for ideas.
Obviously this recipe is for the stuffed peppers, but you can use this tofu taco meat in/on whatever dish you like... tacos, taco bowl, salad, pasta...
OKAY. So try it out. Tell me what you think. Do you guys want to see more recipes like this with imitations? Let me know in the comments below or in a private message in the contact page!
Thanks for stopping by guys! Love ya.
xo - cortney.
Vegan Stuff Peppers with Tofu Taco Meat
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 block firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 bell peppers, halved and insides scraped out
- dairy-free cheese
- tomato, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- dairy-free sour cream
- lime wedges
- fresh jalapeño
How to cook Vegan Stuff Peppers with Tofu Taco Meat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lay peppers evenly on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake for 10-15 minutes: 10 minutes for crunchy peppers, 15 minutes for softer peppers.
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, jalapeño, and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- In a medium bowl, crumble the tofu and then add it to the skillet. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the seasoning and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Once the peppers are done baking, pull them from the oven. Spoon the taco meat into each bell pepper until it is full. Top with cheese if desired. Place the stuffed peppers back into the oven for an additional3-5 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes, cilantro, fresh lime juice, salsa, and jalapeño. Enjoy!