10 Surprising Coconut Oil Beauty Tricks
Coconut oil. The best thing like, ever. It's healthy, it's delicious, it smells like a tropical island, and it can be used for SO. MANY. THINGS. I keep a jar in my kitchen and a jar in my bathroom, because it's just as essential to my beauty routine as it is to my cooking routine.
- Makeup Remover. Wipes away makeup like it's nobody's business. It won't clog pores and it's chemical free! Apply it directly to skin or dab it on using a cotton ball.
- Lip Balm. Mega hydrating, works wonders on chapped lips, and gives lips a pretty, glossy look. Coconut oil is a semisolid at room temperature, so just pack it in a small jar and keep it with you throughout the day.
- Body Moisturizer. Nourishes skin better than any lotion on the shelf. I used baby oil and cocoa butter for years before finally switching to coconut oil. No chemicals and no slimy feeling. Not to mention, you smell all tropical and exotic all day long. Apply right after showering.
- Teeth Whitening. Yes, coconut oil will whiten your smile! It will also kill germs and bacteria and leave you with fresh breath. Swish around for 10 minutes twice a day for best results. (spit oil in the trash after swishing, it can clog the sink drain!)
- Deep Conditioner. Comb melted oil throughout hair, root to end, and leave in for at least one hour before shampooing. Much less disgusting than slathering your locks in mayo or egg yolk (eek).
- Night Cream. Stop buying wrinkle creams that cost as much as your rent. The antioxidants in coconut oil will minimize fine lines and smooth wrinkles just as well, if not better! Before bed, wash face and apply a thin layer of oil.
- Shaving Cream. Keep a jar of coco oil in your shower and use it the same way you would use shaving cream. It doesn't lather, but it will get you a closer shave, smooth and hydrate along the way.
- Stretch-Mark Prevention. Though it will not fade already existing marks, it is a great prevention tool for stretch marks. Perfect for mommy-to-be's. It will also help to prevent dark spots. You can apply as many times throughout the day as you'd like.
- Cuticle Treatment. Our hands get beaten up throughout the day. To show a little TLC to dry, peeling, or flaky cuticles, apply a small amount of coconut oil twice a day.
- Sunburn Relief/Treatment. Apply to sunburned skin for immediate relief.
*Not all coconut oils are created equal! Make sure to buy raw, organic, extra virgin coco oil. I swear by Skinny & Co. Coconut Oil and would suggest it to anyone.