Inside My Makeup Bag: 15 Cruelty-Free Must Haves
I have been wearing makeup for 10+ years. In that time, I've created some serious attachments to different products. Unfortunately, when I wised up about animal testing, I became aware that nearly all of my once beloved makeup was sadly not cruelty free… Upsetting on so many levels. But I sucked it up and immediately ditched these brands for some bunny-friendly beauty. No product is worth hurting those little guys.
Bunnies aside, know what's in your makeup. Lots of beauty products are loaded with dangerous chemicals. What many people do not realize is that whatever is put on the skin will eventually be absorbed into the bloodstream. And if you rock lip wear, know that some of it will be ingested throughout the day. This can potentially cause major toxicity in the body. With that being said, get familiar with your makeup and opt for natural choices.
I know that parting ways with your tried and true products can be tough, but I promise there are tons of awesome, cruelty-free options out there. I encourage you to transtition your makeup bag. The bunnies will thank you!
To get you started, here are 15 cruelty-free (and incredibly frugal) products I swear by...
1. e.l.f. Professional Mechanical Eyelash Curler - This curler sits steady in my hand and curls my lashes perfectly. You don't need much more than that.
2. Sonia Kashuk Bare Minimum Pressed Powder in Translucent Light 02 - I like my powder color to be very even with my skin tone. This gives me all the benefits of powder without adding any color. It's also perfect for reapplying over those oily spots throughout the day.
3. e.l.f. High Definition Powder - Basically a translucent powder that I put on as the last step of my routine. The powder is very fine and gives my face a soft, glowing look.
4. Sonia Kashuk Large Synthetic Foundation Brush No. 114 - I use this brush mostly to apply concealer under my eyes. Obviously it can be used on any part of the face. It does a good job at building coverage when needed.
5. Pacifica Color Quench Lip Tint in Blood Orange - I am a chap stick enthusiast and am totally obsessed with this product! It works as an awesome chap stick with a pretty, natural looking color. So perfect for my day-to-day look. It smells pretty yummy too.
6. e.l.f. Studio Tinted Moisturizer - in the past, I used a daily moisturizer and then a liquid foundation. This product has made my life so much easier. It gives me the moisture I need and the color I want without the heaviness of two different products. Not to mention it has SPF 20! Love it.
7. Sonia Kashuk Shimmering Loose Powder Bronzer in Golden 47 - I have purchased my fair share of high-end bronzers and this one rivals them all. It goes on evenly and you can wear it as heavy or as light as you'd like. I've never felt orange or overdone with this bronzer. It works when I'm dark in the summer and when I'm (very) pale in the winter.
8. e.l.f. Professional Total Face Brush - I use this brush for all of my loose powder face products. It blends powders well and because the bristles are so lose it never gives you that heavy makeup look. Perfect for bronzers and blushes.
9. e.l.f. Studio Complexion Brush - I use this brush for my pressed powders. The brush is absorbent and applies makeup generously. In the past I've used it to apply liquid foundation and it worked well for that, too. Bonus: It's anti-bacterial!
10. MILANI Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Ivory 01 - Love this eyeshadow! It's a simple golden shimmery color. It is so soft and looks pretty against my skin. I really only use this to highlight underneath my eyebrows and the corner of my eyes.
11. Black Radiance Eye Appeal Blending Pencil in Kohl Black - Finding a good eye liner is tough. I'm pretty happy with this brand. It's creamy and goes on smooth. I use it lightly for a daytime look. But the smudge tip makes a nice smokey eye for nights out.
12. e.l.f. Under Eye Concealer & Highlighter - Another awesome steal from e.l.f.! After applying my tinted moisturizer I first use the concealer on the dark spots under my eyes and then apply the highlighter. Definitely brightens and widens the look of my eyes.
13. Jordana FabuBrow Eyebrow Pencil in Medium Brown 02 - I use this pencil VERY lightly through my eyebrows to slightly arch my brows and cover up some patches. And while the pencil itself works well, my favorite part of this product is the shaping brush. It works great!
14. NYX Faux Lashes Boudoir Mascara - This mascara is fiber infused and gives me a nice long lash. It's very dark, thickening and elongating (hey, sexy eyes!) so be sure to use a light hand when you're going for a natural day-time look.
15. bareMinerals Face Color in Pure Radiance - I use this heavy on the cheek bones as a blush and very lightly on the rest of my face. It's basically like a real life color enhancement button. It lasts for a long time and is extremely lightweight.