Meal Prep Series: Teriyaki Tofu with Cilantro Lime Rice & Veggies
Last week I made a total "throw-together" dinner on my insta stories. I ended up making teriyaki tofu and some random veggies I had on hand. It actually turned out really good and I got lots of questions about it in my DM's. So obvi I decided to make a blog post about it!
I tried to be as thorough as I could in the directions below. I listed out every step I took and personally I think this is a pretty simple meal prep.
It is such a life saver to have my meals ready to grab-n-go during the week. We're busy, we oversleep (guilty), unexpected things end up taking priority during our day, and we don't have time to make that lunch we promised ourselves we would make before work.
When that happens, and you have no prepared lunch with you, its much easier to just say screw it and get an unhealthy takeout, eat 4 donuts in the break room, or maybe the worst of all - skip lunch entirely. Not to mention, spend unnecessary money!
I got this awesome set of glass tupperware from amazon about a year ago, and I freaking love it. (It's super affordable for the amount of containers and quality). It makes meal prep so easy and fun because they are so beautiful and I feel so put together using glass haha! #adulting
I want to start a "Meal Prep Series" and post more ideas for you guys. If there's anything in particular you want to see, let me know!
Alright, I'm off to clean my kitchen. It's a complete disaster. *sigh*
Love you guys always!
TERIYAKI TOFU WITH CILANTRO LIME RICE & VEGGIES
serving size: 5 meals
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, agave, or honey)
- 2 cups green beans
- salt, for seasoning
- In a medium sauce pan, combine rice, vegetable broth, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a bowl. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low or low, stir once and cover. Cook for 10-12 minutes until rice is cooked through and fluffy. Remove from heat.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the rice and stir to mix. Fold in chopped cilantro. Set aside to cool.
- Cut tofu into thick square cubes. Spread evenly onto a paper towel and let sit for about 5 minutes to lose some of the water.
- While you wait for the tofu, in a small bowl, combine soy sauce and sweetener. Mix until it is well combined. This may take a few minutes. (This will be your teriyaki sauce!)
- Lightly spray a non-stick frying pan. Add in the tofu. Let the tofu cook over medium for 4 minutes on each side. Then pour the teriyaki sauce over the tofu. Stir uncovered for 2-3 minutes. Remove the tofu and set it aside. (Leave extra teriyaki sauce in the pan to season the green beans).
- In the same frying pan, add the green beans. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the beans are soft. Remove from heat.
- Evenly spread rice, tofu, black beans, and green beans into sturdy tupperware. Garnish with extra cilantro, seasonings of choice, and a lime wedge.
- Seal tupperware and place your meals in the fridge and enjoy them all week long!